Koenig & Bauer Flexotecnica, in partnership with the Flexographic Technical Association (FTA), is to host a half-day seminar later this month addressing the decision whether to implement UV LED or electron beam (EB) curing.
Invited experts will discuss the benefits and opportunities of each technique and how they relate to EB curing and UV LED to the press, inks and plates. A brand owner will address trends in packaging and how it impacts the need for newer curing technology. A roundtable discussion will include a narrow web printer and a flexible packaging printer who are both currently running UV LED and EB curing.
Topics to be covered over the course of the March 28 seminar will include:
- How to remove the need for drying time or powder with inks that cure instantly;
- Expanding substrate offerings to include plastics and other materials that don’t absorb inks;
- How to achieve quality, safety-conscious print results with heat-sensitive substrates;
- Why and how UV LED lamps last significantly longer than traditional UV lamps, saving time and money;
- How to eliminate heat, ozone and mercury from the press room, making the process safer and improving overall environmental impact;
- How UV LED curing eliminates the release of VOCs, with UV inks are free of solvents and avoids the environmental issues caused by them;
- How to bypass the energy costs and heat-related hazards of heatset drying;
- Which value-added coatings can be used efficiently and effectively; and
- High-end printing effects, like drip-off (strike through) and how they can be achieved, and discussion of further developments in this arena that are broadening creative applications and what is possible with printing.
‘Our goal is to help printers and converters determine which curing technology is best for them and their market,’ explained Jeff Dietz, vice president at Koenig & Bauer Flexotecnica. ‘Both EB and UV LED are achieving great popularity.
Every participant will leave with a clear understanding of the process, variables to consider when implementing, and the knowledge to determine whether this technology is right for their business.’
The ‘We Have the Cure’ seminar takes place March 28 at the US headquarters of Koenig & Bauer Flexotecnica in Dallas, Texas. The seminar begins at 9am. At 12 noon, there will be a break for lunch followed by the roundtable discussion and Q&A to end the session at 2pm. The seminar is free for FTA members.