UFlex launches range of products
UFlex Limited, one of the India’s leaders in flexible packaging products and polymer sciences, has launched a wide range of advanced products across business segments to meet the changing needs of its customers.
Summary of product innovations by UFlex in the quarter ended September 30, 2022:
Henna paste pack for Nat Habit (startup in beauty and wellness space)
- Organic natural products formulated without preservatives require quality packaging structure to preserve their quality and freshness for long. The absence of preservatives in a product can reduce its shelf life. To address this requirement, the flexible packaging business division of UFlex has developed a special high-barrier packaging format that prevents degradation and preserves the natural properties of such products while increasing their shelf life.
- Nat Habit, a startup in the natural beauty and wellness space, required a packaging solution for its natural preservative-free henna paste. UFlex’s flexible packaging business division created a stand-up, center-seal pouch with a side gusset. This pouch provides ultra-high barrier against moisture, gases, UV rays, and assures protection to the natural ingredients of the henna paste. It extends the shelf life of the product by preventing it from oxidative degeneration and delays bacterial growth, thus preventing it from contamination. The unique lacquer coat provides a very organic feel that resonates with the brand positioning.
MPP and WPP large packaging bags
- The flexible packaging business of UFlex has pioneered the art of developing WPP bags. Taking note of this capability, Terasol, a large player in agriculture products, approached the UFlex team to develop a packaging solution with added security features that not just gives a facelift to the pack but also prevents it from security risks during transit. With extensive research, the UFlex flexible packaging research team developed a packaging structure with MPP/Poly Propelyne- (EXTRU) to pack the water-soluble Terasol fertilizer. The packaging structure of a block bottom pouch with a seal of quality via hot foil stamping was well received by the brand. The packaging structure has successfully passed mechanical tests and delivers on the aesthetics requirements of the brand.
Patent for Solvent-Free Pigmented White Adhesive
- The UFlex chemicals business has been awarded a patent for solvent-free pigmented white adhesive ─ an innovative, environment-friendly energy saving product. The present disclosure relates to a two-component adhesive composition and the process for its preparation. The adhesive composition of the present disclosure is solvent-free and works well on existing solvent less lamination machines. It helps reduce the use of white ink, thus significantly reducing white ink’s cost. According to UFlex, as a result, consumers get the freedom to have a green and cost-effective adhesive. In addition to the above benefits, the brand’s visual appeal gets significantly enhanced owing to the enhanced opacity on a variety of surfaces. The product is generating demand from customers worldwide. This patent has been sanctioned and licensed under the Patents Act 1970, (Patent number 406417) valid for 20 years w.e.f. March 4, 2022.
- With an increase in on-the-go consumption, the need for packaging structures and containers for instant consumption is gaining momentum. However, since the conventional formats suffered from shortcomings such as non-compatibility with the temperature of food and beverage, the need for a product that supports such structures was long felt by large beverage brands. Taking note of the gap, the UFlex chemicals business division has developed Flexseal Ecocoat, an eco-friendly aqueous dispersion application coating specially designed for the inner side of paper cups as a replacement for PE coating. This product offers heat-seal properties. This coating is primarily used on paperboard for paper cups via gravure or an air knife application process. Besides offering added convenience to consumers, it also contributes to sustainability by enabling easy recycling of paper products, post consumption.
Flexcure Sheetfed “Bio” Series for Offset Application (with >40% BRC)
- Every brand seeks to impart high visual appeal to their products. UFlex consistently develops newer and advanced products that allow brands to stand out by offering them a variety of options in printing solutions to enhance the visibility of their products. The Flexcure Sheetfed “Bio” series represents a new generation of UV inks for offset printing especially designed using high bio-renewable content ingredients. This series provides an environment-friendly alternative to standard UV offset ink. It is a low odor ink series and is well suited for all kinds of paper and board substrates.
Flexcure Low Migration “Nutri Series” for aseptic packaging
- Flexcure Nutri series represents a new generation radical mechanism designed especially for food packaging, pharmaceutical and hygiene applications demanding low migration & odour. It can be applied to a wide range of plastic materials and other substrates (lacquered aluminum). It is suitable for processing with all in-line types of UV Flexo label or packaging printing. These inks are suitable only for use in the non-food contact side of food packaging, provided that they are applied using the relevant GMP and as per guidelines mentioned in the TDS.
Sustainability in textile products
- As brands consciously embrace sustainability, many companies actively seek to develop products, which have minimum impact on the environment. Customers expect brands to take responsible decisions and move toward a circular economy. One of the leading fashion and clothing brands in the world was looking to procure BPA (Bisphenol A) free sequins material from India for textile applications. UFlex catered to this large requirement through a leading exporter, meeting the stringent international test requirements and approvals for an overseas customer, a first from an Indian company. UFlex is determined to see the use of more sustainable and eco-friendly materials usage in this segment.
High-end security solutions in pharma packaging
- Increased awareness of the dangers of duplication has led pharmaceutical companies to explore anti-counterfeiting solutions to preserve the integrity and safety of products. Easy visual detection to determine the authenticity of the product is the first line of defense against such spurious duplication. UFlex’s Holography division has developed a High Reflex Index Film with an extremely high metallic sheen for the surface of the packed cartons, to address this vital requirement of its pharma customers. An essential feature of this film is the customer logo which is embedded; it does not disappear even under heat and pressure applied during the post-lamination processing operations.
Flexible packaging films business
High barrier BOPET film F-AFR-M
In order to meet the exceptional barrier requirements for oxygen and moisture sensitive products e.g., milk powder, coffee packaging or beverage packaging, the flexible packaging films business division of UFlex has developed a barrier BOPET film ‘F-AFR-M’ with metallization on one side and the option of corona treatment on the other side. F-AFR-M offers metal bond strength of more than 600gm/25mm that allows easy handling and machinability. Owing to its high oxygen and moisture barrier properties and easy recyclability, the film has emerged as a successful replacement for aluminum foil used in dried packaging application, enabling brands step closer to their sustainability goals.
Special Recognition Awards
Appreciation certificate from National Safety Council 2022
- The UFlex chemicals business division has been conferred with a ‘Certificate of Appreciation’ award by the National Safety Council of India Safety Awards during 2018-2020. This has been awarded in recognition for appreciable achievement in Occupational Safety & Health.
UFlex received 18 awards at the IFCA Star Awards 2022 for global recognition for excellence in Innovations and Creativity.
Stay up to date
Subscribe to the free Label News newsletter and receive the latest content every week. We'll never share your email address.