Virtual - Flexible Packaging - Part 1
Learn about the market opportunities for flexible packaging for label converters, material constructions, prepress and print process considerations.
Gain the necessary knowledge and expert guidance that label, and other, converters looking to enter or expand their production into flexible packaging are likely to require – substrates, design and origination, press printing and converting. Learn how ink components interact with drying and curing technologies, and with packaging line demands. Current legislation, including ink migration, will also be addressed.
This two-part master class will be presented by Strategic Director, Tarsus Labels, Packaging & Brand Print Group, Andy Thomas-Emans, along with leading experts from the field. It is organized by the Label Academy, the global training program for the label and package printing industry.
Master class start time in other time zones: 4pm CEST, 9am CDT
Thank you to our sponsors:
Master class agenda
Flexible Packaging – an introduction
- What is flexible packaging and how big is the market?
- The main type of flexible packaging
- Benefits and advantages of flexible packaging
- Andy Thomas-Emans, Strategic Director, Tarsus Labels, Packaging & Brand Print Group
Paper and board, metallic foil, films and multilayer constructions
- Performance demands on flexible packaging and materials
- Commonly used substrates, their properties and applications
- Laminates, barrier properties and heat sealing
- Nanette Thomas, Chief Executive Officer, Synthogra
Creation of artwork and pre-press
- Selection of required pack/shape image from a shape store
- Adding physical dimensions and incorporating text, graphics and 3D structure
- Artwork, step-and-repeat, color management and proofing
- Jan de Roeck, Marketing Director - Industry Relations and Strategy, Esko
Printing processes and techniques
- Considerations of web widths, tension and edge control
- Web treatment: cleaning, heat management, chill roll and inspection
- Quality control, compliance and testing
- Hans Poortinga, Printing Technology Expert, MPS Systems