At Labelexpo Europe 2019, Dow is introducing new Syl-Off silicone release coatings and Invisu acrylic adhesives designed for paper and film label applications.
Meike Wesseling, global segment leader release coating at Dow, said: ‘Dow is constantly searching to bring new products to the market that do more for our customers. With this new range of silicone release coatings and high solids acrylic adhesives, we provide customers the opportunity to boost their competitiveness in the market by reducing costs and improving footprint of the end products.
In line with the biggest trends such as faster label converting, cost-efficient products and sustainability, we have launched four new products at Labelexpo.’
The new pressure-sensitive products introduced by Dow at Labelexpo are:
- Syl-Off SL 351 release coating that will address the demand for more porous cost-efficient substrate paper. This coating is specifically designed for hygiene applications and reduces soak-in enabling a lower coat-weight. It is claimed to allow manufacturers to realize cost savings by using less expensive paper and less silicone with fewer platinum, thus reducing total cost-in-use. This is the global launch of the product in Europe but it has been introduced in India and Thailand.
- Invisu 3000 is a waterborne, high solids acrylic pressure sensitive adhesive base for permanent self-adhesive paper labels. Formulated for curtain and gravure applications, it offers a reliable adhesion on glass and cardboard. It features 69 percent high solids content for enhanced productivity and reduced energy demand.
- Invisu 4100 is a waterborne, high solids curtain coatable acrylic adhesive for permanent self-adhesive filmic labels. It is suitable for a wide range of applications offering adhesion to low surface energy substrates, like HDPE, without compromising on shear resistance performance.
- Invisu 3200 is a waterborne, high solids acrylic for gravure coating for self-adhesive paper labels. It is a ready to coat water-based adhesive combining minimum energy in conversion with maximum productivity on multiple gravure coating technologies. It offers unique solid contents, adaptable viscosity profile, affinity to low and high surface energy materials, combined with high cohesion.
Dow will further feature silicon-based release coatings and modifiers for enhanced production efficiency and sustainability. These include:
- Syl-Off EM-7953 release coating is a water-based emulsion release coating system offering greater formulation flexibility, allowing to meet environmental, health and safety regulations and providing a suitable alternative to traditional solvent-based coating systems for PET.
- Syl-Off SL 25 release modifier is designed to address the increasingly challenging processing and converting conditions and performance requirements. This solventless formulation enables a flatter release profile and reduces VOC emissions, representing a new standard in pressure sensitive labels.
- Stevi Liakopoulou, EMEA marketing manager, Acrylics Adhesives at Dow, said: ‘We are looking forward to listening to label manufacturers’ and converters’ needs, share our expertise and explore how we can collaborate to design innovative technologies that are more sustainable and enhance cost and efficiency performance.’
‘We are a customer-centric company. We listen to their requirements, collaborate with them and develop products accordingly. Further, we have manufacturing facilities in different regions that allows us to be more flexible and reduce turnaround time to customers,’ said Isabelle Uhl, global application technology leader, Dow Adhesives.
‘Our products have received tremendous feedback from the market and we are sure to further develop our range for the next show,’ concluded Wesseling.